Monday, September 22, 2008

Cholelithiasis


A few days back my husband and I discovered he has a cholelithiasis. It is gallstone (stone in the gallbladder) in layman's term that develops over time. His is now 1 cm in circumference. In most cases the stone/s are caused by cholesterol deposits and women are more prone to develop cholelithiasis than men. Mostly, the condition produces no symptoms so, obviously, it came as a shock to us since my hubby never manifested a single symptom and is known for his being health conscious.
His trip to work was cancelled since the company where he works required him to undergo either Intracorporeal Lithotripsy (IL) or cholecystectomy. Let me discuss the terms one by one. Intracorporeal Lithotripsy is breaking the stones into fragments with the use of laser pulse technology. Cholecystectomy, on the other hand, is surgical removal of the gallbladder itself. We were told that aside from the fact that IL is expensive, it is not a guarantee that the laser can visualize the stones, in that case, a surgery (which is Cholecystectomy) becomes necessary. Given all the facts, we opted to have the surgery.
My hubby is scheduled for operation come wednesday, sept. 24, at 8:30 am philippine time. I hope and pray for the success of the surgery. I will hold it deep in my heart if anyone out there, friends or not, offer a little prayer for him.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Philippines
a typical filipina nurse, hardworking, easy to please, strong, smart, sweet, married to a remarkable man and a proud mom of three wonderful kids.