Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Celebrating Holy Week!


It is the culture of the filipinos to commemorate the crucifixion and death of Christ which is celebrated during holy week. Personally, I celebrate it wholeheartedly through fasting, going up a mountain for the way of the cross prayer, listening to the seven last words, attending the mass and the procession.
I believe everyone has their unique way of celebrating the holy week and it doesn't have to be done my way or the so-called catholic way. For me, the real essence of commemorating it is accepting God in our lives. And when you say accept Him, you have to live Him. In my everyday encounter with life I am watchful with the words I speak and the things I do because I don't want to hurt or of
fend others and in turn offend Him. But i am also mindful of the reality that i'm not perfect and along the process of struggling to be good, i know i still hurt somebody. What i'm really trying to point out is, be mindful of your mistakes and always strive to be good even if it's lonely, tiresome and boring to do so.
Seeing the positive way of life and the positive side of every person we meet everyday is another way of showing and remembering that God is so good that He died for us. Everyone deserves a fair trial in life, a second chance, and a chance to be better.
I climb a mountain to be where I am now
and I know there are more mountains to climb ahead but i am no longer afraid because i trust in the power of prayer. One of the things that add hope is one of my mom's favorite verse that says, "Most of us are praying for mountains of problems to be removed when what we should pray for is courage to face them."
Holy week can be celebrated everyday. You can offer sacrifice by giving your helper enough rest, buying a bread and a softdrink for a beggar, standing up to let an older woman sit, following traffic rules, throwing garbage in a proper can, and even saying sorry, pls and thank you can melt the heart of the one who recieves it. I'm not saying that we should not go to church and all to make it a holy week. I think it becomes more meaningful when we show our love and faith in God with the people we meet everyday.
May everyone of us live life with God, have peace with God, and love with God not only this blessed week but everyday of our lives.



2 comments:

Abou said...

so pano, e di amen na lang e.

karomadee said...

sus abou kunyari ka pa. mabait ka i know that!

About Me

My photo
Philippines
a typical filipina nurse, hardworking, easy to please, strong, smart, sweet, married to a remarkable man and a proud mom of three wonderful kids.